(National Occupational Classification 2016 - NOC Code: 6322 )
Davie Dosa Company brings an exotic culinary experience of traditional Southern Indian cuisine and delicious cocktails to a vibrant the neighbourhood of the West End in Vancouver. We serve traditional, innovative and authentic South Indian Cuisine including our specialty dosas, a well as curries and vegetarian specialties.
We bring our craft to your plate with unearthing traditional recipes and mastered cooking skills. We created a menu for everyone with traditional and creative recipes that pair wonderfully with our selection of wines and fine spirits. One of our main goals is to present delicious South Indian dishes with a combination of amazing flavours, tenderness and aroma to satisfy the taste of our customers, while they sit and relax enjoying the food, the atmosphere and our exceptional service. We are in need of a cook who will bring the same approach and experience to our business.
COMPANY OPERATING NAME: Davie Dosa Company
BUSINESS ADDRESS: 1235 Davie St, Vancouver, BC V6E 1N4 Canada
We are looking to add to our team a passionate and responsible Cook who can work collaboratively to manage all responsibilities related to kitchen operations and maintenance, who is passionate about food and the hospitality industry to join our team and bring their experience in the authentic Indian cuisine. Our ideal cook is a motivated self-starter that can anticipate any problems before they happen. The cook should have the ability to work in a dynamic team environment, multitask effectively.
JOB TITLE: Cook
NO. OF POSITIONS: 2
JOB DESCRIPTION AND DUTIES:
- Preparing and cooking complete meals including authentic South Indian dosas, curries, including a wide range of chicken, lamb, beef, seafood and vegetarian dishes, as well as South Indian style breads, rice specialties, and other dishes on the menu.
- May plan menus, determine size of food portions, estimate food requirements and costs, monitor and order supplies.
- May hire and train kitchen staff, scheduling and supervising kitchen helpers daily, weekly and monthly.
- Plating, assembling and garnishing of all food products in a uniform manner.
- Monitor all dishes leaving the kitchen to ensure quality and good presentation of all food adapting recipes to special requests such as allergies and special diets.
- Complete all aspects of the job in a manner that will not affect the speed or quality of customer service at any time.
- Working knowledge of food safety and hygiene practices, washing and cleaning of ﬂoors, crockery, utensils and other kitchen equipment to ensure that the necessary hygiene, health, safety and sanitary standards are maintained in the kitchen.
- Maintain clean and safe kitchen environment adhering to food safety rules, quality and control standards.
- Receiving, storage and preparation of all food products according to Davie Dosa Company Restaurant speciﬁcations and practices and overseeing kitchen operations.
- Maintaining proper inventory levels of prepared products, supplies and equipment.
- Prepare items for grilling, frying, sautéing or other cooking methods by portioning, battering, breading, seasoning and/or marinating assuming 100% responsibility for quality of products served.
- Communicate with customers, staff and management in a friendly, yet professional manner.
- Other related duties as needed.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Permanent, Full-time, Long-term.
HOURS OF WORK: 40 hours per week
WAGES: $16.25 per hour
OVERTIME: One and one-half times the regular wage rate as per provincial regulations.
- Insurance from Workplace Safety and Insurance Board covered by employer.
- Vacation pay as per provincial regulations will be paid each payday on a semi-monthly basis.
LOCATION OF WORK: 1235 Davie St, Vancouver, BC V6E 1N4 Canada
ANTICIPATED START DATE OF EMPLOYMENT: As soon as possible.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Completion of Secondary school is an asset
- Ability to communicate in English.
- Seven months of cooking experience.
- Good experience in the areas of Authentic Indian cuisine and products, eager to learn Davie Dosa Company process and incorporate new techniques.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL CAPABILITIES:
- Repetitive tasks.
- Attention to detail.
- Work under pressure.
- Combination of sitting, standing, walking, bending.
- Standing for extended periods.
- Capable of lifting/pushing heavy objects weighing over 40 lbs.
- Sometimes work in a noisy and distracting environment.
- Use their hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Spatial awareness and ability to navigate a busy kitchen.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Client focus and dependability.
- Must be a team player, flexible, reliable and organized.
- Must be available for all hours of operation including overtime and weekend work as required.
Preference given to applicants who are Canadian citizens, Canadian Permanent Residents, New Immigrants, Indigenous Persons / Aboriginals, Visible Minorities and Vulnerable Youth.
If interested in this position, please apply by email DavieDosaCo@gmail.comor by mail to 1235 Davie St, Vancouver, BC V6E 1N4, with resume and cover letter. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.