Position Description: Heavy Duty Mechanic
Reports to: Manager, Plant Yard
Wages: $30-$35 per hour, depending on experience
**Please note we are located on Mitchell Island, with limited to no access for public transportation**
A Comprehensive Benefits Package will be provided after 3 months of continuous employment.
The Heavy Duty Mechanic repairs, overhauls, maintains and services diesel powered automobiles, heavy trucks, heavy construction equipment, excavators and material handlers. Diagnoses equipment problems and determines repairs needed and demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease downtimes, and streamline work processes. May be called upon to operate other equipment or engage in activities as RSR sees fit. The Heavy Duty Mechanic will work for RSR as a whole and will require the ability to travel to feeder yards and offsite jobs when needed. Expectations of our mechanics are stringent and we required they act in a professional manner at all times. We offer competitive wages, and a friendly work environment.
Fabricates, constructs, installs, and repairs equipment and machinery
• Diagnoses equipment problems and determines repairs needed
• Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease downtimes, and streamline work processes
• Performs daily safety and maintenance checks
• Repairs, overhauls, maintains, and services diesel powered vehicles, material handling, heavy construction equipment and excavators
• Repairs, overhauls, maintains and services fuel injection systems, exhaust systems, cooling systems, air conditioning systems, lubrication systems, engine control systems, major internal engine repairs or overhaul, installation and alignment of engines and machinery
• Repairs, overhauls, maintains and services drive trains and final drives, hydraulic transmissions, power take-offs, tracked vehicle suspensions and steering, vehicle brake systems, wheel-mounted vehicle suspension and steering
• Works closely with purchasing to determine inventory levels for machinery
• Practices workplace safety
• Completion of or capability of attaining Red Seal Certification
• Knowledge of truck and equipment safety
• Knowledge of operation of front end loaders, excavators, material handlers and other pieces of heavy equipment
• Knowledge of equipment maintenance and storage procedures
• Knowledge of workplace safety requirements and procedures
• Knowledge of record keeping systems
• Knowledge of equipment cleaning standards and procedures
• Determine extent of repair required
• Adjust equipment and repair or replace defective parts
• Test repaired equipment for proper performance
• Clean, lubricate, and perform other maintenance work
• Service attachments and working tools
• Analytical and problem solving skills
• Decision making skills
• Effective verbal and listening communications skills
• Ability to read and write to keep daily records including maintenance reports and documentation
• Stress & time management skills
• Able to weld, gas and AC/DC
• Willingness to work in different sites if required
• Scrap Experience an asset
• Valid Driver’s License with Clean Drivers Abstract
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; outside weather conditions and vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; risk of electrical shock and risk of radiation. The noise level in the work environment can be loud at times.
The above statements are statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills.
Interested parties may send resumes to:
Attn: Shifana Rajabali, HR Generalist by email at SRajabali@richmondsteel.ca