(National Occupational Classification 2016 - NOC Code: 4154)
About Sri Ganesh Temple Society of British Columbia (SGTSBC):
Sri Ganesh Temple Society of British Columbia, a registered charity, was incorporated in 1999 by a group of well-wishers to satisfy the spiritual needs of the devotees of Lord Ganesha in British Columbia. Today, the society/temple is well recognized as the first unique place of worship in Vancouver, BC, exclusively for Lord Ganesha, the God of knowledge, wisdom and wealth. The Society operates the temple located at 3525 Fraser Street, Vancouver, BC V5V 4C5 Canada and promotes religious, spiritual, cultural, educational, social, and humanitarian needs and commitments for the benefits of its members. We are currently looking for 1 experienced Hindu Priest to join our team. This is a temporary full time position for a period of 3 months reporting directly to the Temple Administrator.
At present, the Sri Ganesh Temple Society of British Columbia provides a place of worship in Vancouver, BC where devotees offer prayers to Lod Ganesha on daily basis.
Special prayers and religious activities are also held on a monthly basis to celebrate certain festivals of the Hindus. The prayer hall facility is free and open to all devotees of Lord Ganesha.
Temple Operating Name: Sri Ganesh Temple Society of British Columbia (SGTSBC)
Temple Address: 3525 Fraser Street, Vancouver, BC V5V 4C5 Canada
Sri Ganesh Temple Society of British Columbia (SGTSBC)invites applications for the temporary full time position Hindu Priest for a period of 3 months to cover the leave of absence of the current priestfor their Sri Ganesh Temple to perform daily Poojas (rituals) at the temple. Applications are accepted directly from interested priests only (not from any job hunter type agencies or recruitment agencies or other individuals).
Job Title: Priest
No. of Positions: 1
Job Description and Duties:
Terms of Employment: Temporary Full Time, Short Term (3 months)
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week
(Split Hours: 7 AM to 9 AM and 6 PM to 9 PM).
7 days a week. Required to work during weekends also.
Wages: $12.65 per hour
Overtime: One and one-half times the regular wage rate as per provincial regulations
Location of Work: 3525 Fraser Street, Vancouver, BC V5V 4C5 Canada
Anticipated Start Date of Employment: As soon as possible
Education, Experience and Language Requirements:
1. Experience in the rites and practices set out in the Kamika and Karana Agamas as observed in the Saivite Hindu tradition, including Homam and Kumba Abhishekam and Temple Poojas and Rituals
2. Shall be proficient in performing Vaidika Karyakramas including the Jatakarma, Namakarana Punniyaka Vachanam, Annaprasanam, Upanayanam (Janeu),Vidyarambha Samskaras, Ayushyahomam, Santhihomam, Mruthyunjayahomam, Nakshatrahomam, Navagrahahomam, Ganapathihomam, Rudrahomam, Chandi Parayanam and Homam, Moorthis Pratishtaapanas, Sahasranama Pooja, Rudrabhishekam
3. Skillful in Alankaram and decoration of deities in various forms during temple functions and major festivals
4. Should be able to communicate with the congregation and administration in Tamil; and the ability to communicate in English would be an asset
5. Well versed in Shukla and Krishna Yajurveda and Upanishads, including Sri Rudram, Chamakam, Purusha Suktam Sri Suktam, Durga Suktam, Pavamana Suktam and Navagraha Suktam desirable
6. A minimum of five years’ experience as a Hindu Priest
7. Completion of Secondary School is not required. However, some certification and training pertaining to Vedic and Agamas (*Karana and Kamiya Agamas) from a Hindu religious organization would be an asset
Working Conditions and Physical Capabilities:
Additional Skills and Other Requirements:
Preference to Canadian citizens, Canadian Permanent Residents, New Immigrants, Indigenous Persons / Aboriginals and Youth.
If interested in this position, please apply by email to us at SriGaneshTempleCanada@gmail.com with resume and cover letter.