JOB DESCRIPTION AND DUTIES:
- Transport goods and materials from manufacturing plant to warehouses, rail yards, distribution centres and other provinces
- Plan trip logistics and obtain required documentation to transport goods
- Perform pre-trip, en route and post-trip inspection of vehicle systems, equipment and accessories such as tires, lights and turning signals, brakes and
- cold storage
- Ensure cargo is secured properly in accordance with safety requirements and follow safety procedures for transporting goods
- Obtain special permits and other documents required to transport cargo on international routes
- Record cargo information, hours of service, distance travelled and fuel consumption
- Document and log work/rest periods and kilometres spent driving and retain fuel/toll receipts
- Inspect for mechanical items and safety issues and perform preventative maintenance
- Load and unload the cargo off truck including supervision
- Administer bills of lading and manually or electronically maintain log books
- Communicate with dispatcher, other drivers and customers using communication devices and on-board computers
- Perform emergency roadside repairs
- Keep interior of vehicle clean of debris and clutter
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Seven months to less than one year of driving experience
- No formal education requirements
- Ability to communicate in English
- Driver's License (Class 1 or A) is required
- Air Brake (Z) Endorsement is required
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL CAPABILITIES:
- Repetitive tasks
- Handling heavy loads
- Attention to detail
- Sitting for extended periods
- Willing to travel overnight, cross-border and for extended periods
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Flexibility and Judgement
- Must be a team player, reliable and organized
- Must be available for all hours of operations and shifts including overtime and weekend work as required
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Permanent Full-time, Long-term.
HOURS OF WORK: 40 hours per week
OVERTIME: One and one-half times the regular wage rate as per provincial regulations.
- Insurance from Workplace Safety and Insurance Board covered by employer.
- Vacation pay as per provincial regulations will be paid each payday on a semi-monthly basis.
Preference given to applicants who are Canadian citizens, Canadian Permanent Residents, New Immigrants, Indigenous Persons / Aboriginals, Visible Minorities and Vulnerable Youth.
If interested in this position, please apply by email at email@example.com or by mail to 2233 McKenzie Rd, Abbotsford, BC V2S 4A1 Canada, with resume and cover letter. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.